Work-related eye injuries are common in all settings. Fortunately, a number are preventable with the proper use of safety glasses that protect your eyes from injuries caused due to chemical splashes, metal particles, and radiation. However, selecting the most appropriate pair of safety glasses isn’t as straightforward as it may seem. With various kinds of frames, lenses, and types and the quantity of information available on the market and online, it can become overwhelming to choose the best pair that offers you total protection and ideal aesthetics.
With one of the largest selections of prescription safety glasses and goggles on the web plus also a how-to guide developed by our team of knowledgeable staff, WWC Supply makes it easier for you to find the appropriate pair that is stylish and functional.
Step 1: Know the Eye Safety Hazards at Your Workplace
The first thing that you need to consider when buying safety glasses online is the eye safety dangers you’re very likely to encounter at your workplace. Your workplace could pose any one or a mixture of two or more of these dangers.
- Mechanical Risks —This type of hazard is caused by machines and tools that can generate particles that may reach the cornea and cause injury.
- Radiation —From UV radiations to visible light generated during welding and other operations, optical radiation of various kinds can affect your eyes and lead to acute or chronic eye harm.
- Temperature —The risk introduced by hot liquids, metal splashes, and extreme heat radiation is categorized under this category.
- Chemical —This category contains all foreign materials, such as dust, liquids, gas, chemical splashes, etc.
Step 2: Understand the kinds of Safety Eyeglasses and Lens Materials
Once you have identified workplace-related eye safety hazards, you need to get yourself familiar with the different types of safety glasses and the degree of eye protection they give. Generally speaking, eye safety glasses can be categorized into two types — safety glasses and safety goggles.
Depending on the lens material, safety glasses and goggles can protect your eyes from injuries brought on by flying objects, particles, optical radiation, and glare because of radiation. Materials that are generally utilized in the building of safety eyewear include polycarbonate, acrylic, NXT polyurethane, and optical glass. Don’t neglect to take into account the pros and cons when choosing a lens made out of one or more one of these materials.
Lens Material: Polycarbonate
- Outstanding impact and scratch resistance
- Light in weight
- Protection against UV rays
- Optical Clarity not as excellent as NXT polyurethane and optical glass
Lens Material: NXT Polyurethane (Trivex)
- Excellent impact resistance
- Premium optical clarity
Lens Material: Acrylic
- Resistant to solvents
- Not quite durable
- Low optical clarity
Lens Material: Optical Glass
- Outstanding scratch resistance
- Offers distortion-free eyesight
- Heavy lenses
- Poor impact resistance
Step 3: Know Your Preferences
Now that you have selected the ideal lens material for your safety glasses, it is important to think about the following factors that might influence the amount of acceptance and comfort of the wearer.
- Lens Coatings —Lens coatings are used to enhance the acceptability and performance of non-Rx and Rx-safety goggles. For example, if you want to use your safety goggles in a humid environment, you might wish an anti-fog coating to avoid condensation and prevent the hassle of frequently taking away the glasses to wash off the fog. In the same way, you might also opt for a tough coating to generate the lens scratch-resistant.
- Lens Tints —Lens tints are of great significance when safety glasses are to be utilized in a setting with high optical radiation threat. From easy grey/green coating to reduce the degree of mild to tints offering protection against UV radiation, there are quite a few alternatives available in lens tints.
- Prescription Safety Glasses —Should you or your workers have impaired vision, you may need to use prescription safety goggles and eyeglasses that were customized to offer optimum visibility and total protection.
- Comfort and Layout —These are two major elements that might impact the acceptance of safety glasses on your workplace. You ought to go for a pair of glasses that are light in weight and has been designed to be comfortably worn for extended periods.
WWC Supply is hopeful that this information will assist you in your online safety glasses buy. Our valued customers receive the added benefit of our 24/7 delivery or will call service. Call us now and get it to deliver to you.
WWCsupply specializes in providing Plumbing, PVF, HVAC, and Industrial Supplies.